A Day in the Life 2/1/17

Last Thursday I went to work and must have looked horrible. My 2nd patient of the day (740am, mind you) said, “You look really tired”. Thanks. “Weren’t you off yesterday? You should be rested!” Why yes, yes I was. It’s hardly a day ‘off’ as any mom of littles knows, there is no such thing, no matter if you are working at home or outside of the home. So, for that patient and anyone else who wants to read, here’s what I do on days ‘off’. Someday I’ll look back at these ‘day in the life’ posts and chuckle. Right now I just feel tired, and my feet hurt, although it was a good day. I am pushing 31.5 yrs so I guess that’ll happen. 😉 Here’s Wednesday:

I wake up around 6:20am. Normally on Wed/Fri I give myself the grace to ‘sleep in’ till 6:55am. I was up earlier because, well, nursing….if you’ve ever nursed a baby that sleeps all night (bless her little heart!) you know why I’m awake. I venture downstairs, do a few things and watch the news for approximately 5 mins.  Back upstairs I wake up the girls. G is already up, dressed, and building Legos at his table. He’s such a little man. He’s got his lamp on, sitting in his office chair, and listening to the radio as he builds. I think he’s an old soul 🙂

Lucy, on the other hand, takes 3 times for me to get her awake. The morning struggle is real with this one! Side note–I don’t know what my girls do to their hair at night but it’s always atrocious in the morning! The kids pretty much get themselves ready in the morning, I just make sure they’re up, fix hair and question their breakfast choices, and drive/walk them to school and kiss them goodbye. They’re always excited for school! I get Ruth up and dress and feed her, then we’re off.

We do dropoff then Amelia and I and Ruth head to pickup our hog from the locker. 225 lbs was that little piggie before he met his maker. I hope he tastes good in brat/roast/ground pork/pork steak form!

The nice guy from the locker helped me fit all the meat between seats/carseats. *sigh* carseats….they’re a necessary evil I guess! We run a few other errands then make it home. I carry the meat from the car to the kitchen (x5), from the kitchen to the basement (x5) and then pack it all in the deep freeze. My back hurts!!

I snagged 2 huge new-to-us bookshelves on Craigslist the other day so Amelia and I got to work on putting one of them to good use in the girls room. I was pleased 🙂 This took a significant amount of time as my girls are hoarders. They do NOT get this from me, I’m quite the opposite! Side note–J thinks thd dolls on top of the shelf are the creepiest thing ever. As long as they don’t move at night we’re all good.

On the daily, Amelia INSISTS that we do the dinosaur puzzle and play Connect 4. She also always is very concerned that 1 piece is missing from the puzzle. Every time. At what age do kids start remembering? Added in some My Little Pony Memory game just for kicks, because we like to live on the wild side. Ruth plays in the exersaucer for the next 45 mins (Love that kid…) We switch laundry and play.

Lunch time! Amelia is quite the independent child and makes her own pb&j frequently for lunch, as she did today. She also is very proud that she can peel her own cutie orange. “MOM! I DO IT!” After lunch we make brownies (note the very well-used apron) and dinner for tomorrow night–cranberry pineapple pork roast in the crockpot. Yes this is made over 30 hrs in advance, but things go much smoother if I plan. I like to plan. #prepared   I get scolded by the 3 year old because it’s HER job to lick the bowl, not mine. Note taken…… Normally she would be napping at this time, but some days I’m a pushover and we do fun stuff, like eat brownie batter together 🙂

I fold laundry and switch loads.  Ruth drifts off to sleep and we head for the basement so I can get a workout in. I usually do this in the morning, but today was a bit off. Amelia chooses to sit right in front of the airdyne bike so she gets a wind in her face and colors, rides her bike and scooter, and plays with trucks on the dirty basement floor. A little basement dirt is good for everyone, right? I ride for 30 mins then Ruth is awake. She’s such a catnapper.  I hope for a shower but Ruth has other plans……so we fold laundry with Ruth in the sling.

Before I know it, G and L are walking home from school. Amelia eagerly awaits their arrival and waits at the window, waving and yelling at them from Gabriel’s room. She cannot wait for preschool next year….


The kids come in and right away I go through their backpacks, FULL of papers today, things to sign and dates to put in the calendar. “Mom, my teacher had a real challenge for us today” says the kindergartener. What 5 year old talks like that?? She kills me. Gabriel is completely and utterly enamored with a National Geographic robot book he got at library today, so we settle in and read that for about 20 mins.  Good stuff.

They graze, build a tunnel out of a cardboard box, set up a ‘show’, ‘ticket booth’ and ‘offices’. I’m summoned to ‘buy tickets for the show’ and find Lucy has repurposed the dollhouse into an office, and Amelia’s office is in the bedroom. Amelia says “I look good, Mom”. Yes, yes you do indeed. The ‘show’ never does occur. lol

After 2 hours of their shenanigans I make them clean it allll up. I quickly make dinner and toss it in the oven while I’m talking on the phone with Aunt Mel. Lucy gets ready for dance (it’s PJ week) and we head out the door.


Here’s the thing. Some Wednesday nights go well, others, no so much. Wednesday is my single mom day, allll day and nighttime too as J has grad classes. Tonight was towards the ‘good’ side. See that dog Amelia’s holding? Well he got left at the dance studio. No more than we got halfway home and I was alerted, tears and hysterics, that puppy was missing! The despair! The horror of what could be happening to him! The absolute panic! Being the kind-hearted person  that I am, we drove back and retrieved him, laying on the toy table in the dance waiting area. Gabriel was angry that 1) I took his picture and 2) I made him bring a book to read to me while we were waiting, sorry kid, it’s good for you #multitasking

We finally get home from the dance/dog fiasco and dinner is done! I know it’s probably not the best idea to leave the oven running while we leave, but it worked tonight.  Chicken parmesan it is! {so good!!!} No, not gluten free, but on Wednesdays sometimes we eat all the gluten because Jeremiah has night class at gets home after bedtime. No less than 10 times I have to tell the kids to stop talking/laughing/joke telling/singing and eat. I mean, if the food was bad I could understand, but this was just the opposite!

I tell the kids that if they get everything done, they can watch a little TV before bed. I’ve never seen them unload the dishwasher, clear the table, don pj’s and brush teeth so quickly! They chose this animal documentary on IPTV that sneakily sends robotic animal look-alikes into the wild and records the animals reactions. Entertaining stuff!  We head up to bed, I read books to the kids and they’re off to sleepytime. I read and nurse Ruth to bed. Sleeping babies are so sweet! And I finished that book! BAM!

I sweep the dining room and contemplate sweeping the kitchen and folding yet another load of laundry, but decide writing this blog is way more enjoyable. 🙂  I’m hoping to be asleep in approximately 35 minutes and completely ignore the filthy floor we’re all walking on.

It’s been a good day 🙂



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s