Day in the Life: 5/9/18

Haven’t done one of these in awhile! Here goes:

3:30am Amelia is up to use the bathroom. I walk her back to her bed and I cannot. fall. asleep. Why?! It’s raining and nice and cool in our room so there’s really no reason because Lord knows I’m tired. So I lay there for an hour…

6:45am My alarm goes off and I barely notice. I don’t actually get out of bed until 7:05 because I. am. tired. This is BAD. I have food to deliver to the school before 7:30am for Teacher Appreciation Week for the teacher breakfast and NONE OF THE KIDS ARE AWAKE. They normally get up at 6:50am. I hustle to get dressed and run off to the school. When I return J says he roused them all and they’re up. When I get upstairs the only person out of bed is Amelia, and she’s crying on the stairs. What’s new? Amelia cries 6 out of 7 mornings when she wakes up. Always a pleasant way to start the day.

7:25am The kids are eating breakfast, Gabriel has decided that everyone needs to eat applesauce out of syrofoam bowls. Fine. I don’t care, just eat something! They have that and a few homemade breakfast cookies. I fix hair and keep reminding them to eat more and talk less. Gabriel and Lucy start wrestling in the living room, which I promptly stop. Amelia throws a fit about wearing the sandals I think she should wear, so she wears the fancy ones instead. She shows me how she’ll shake the wood chips from the playground out of her shoes when it inevitably gets in there. Perfect.


It’s all a whirl

7:50am We leave for school. Today we take the van but have been walking lately with the nice weather. They get to school just as the first bell rings. Whew. Made it.

8am I make our last preschool payment at school (they only have a few days left of school!!) and then head home. I let Ruth sit in a booster seat for the whopping 3 blocks that we drive. It’s just easier. Don’t tell anyone… Ruth insists on feeding the bunnies, so I let her even though G and L just fed them.


8:10am Ruth and I head out for our 30 minute walk. She points out every single squirrel and dog and sits happily in the jogger with her cup ‘o milk. We stop by the post office and get the mail. There is a LOT. We get a new book from the Dolly Parton Imagination Library. Upon arriving home Ruth is insistent that we read it. It’s actually really cute! I’m happy to sit for awhile and rest because my pelvis is yelling at me.


9-11am I use this 2 hrs to get stuff done around the house. Well, as much as you can when you’re almost 28 weeks pregnant. I have to sit down often because I start to feel like junk whenever I’m trying to be productive or on my feet too long, but we fill that time with reading books that Ruth happily brings me. We do some laundry, empty and load the dishwasher, pick up a bit around the house, vacuum the dirty back crevice of the window seat in the kitchen, sort mail and then venture outside.


The laundry room overfloweth–bins for socks, etc

It’s a beautiful day! Some friends stop over and we play until Amelia gets off the bus at 11. Ruth finds/makes/eats/plays/sits in some dirt and mud. She gets SO dirty. I scrub her off with a washcloth and call it good.

11:30am Lunch time! We eat on the porch, tuna sandwhiches, cut up mango and cheese. Amelia’s little friend across the street is yelling for her to come play, but she says ‘My family is eating lunch! I’ll have to play later!’. We clean up lunch and Amelia reminds me that I said she could paint my toe nails. Of course. She chooses purpley glitter.


A dirty child is a sign of a good day 😉

12:30pm NAP TIME! I change Ruth. We read a few books and I put Amelia and Ruth down in their beds. Amelia doesn’t nap every day but I can tell today that she needs one. She’s quite sassy. They both are asleep really quickly. Some days I lay down but today I know I have stuff that needs done in the quiet time and I actually feel ok. I start another load of laundry and for a short time all 4 hampers in our house are EMPTY. Happy day!

12:45-1:45pm I spend this time today doing something I don’t enjoy: making phone calls. Ugh. Insurance companies, internet providers, several calls to each. I think I’ve got everything straightened out. I really try to sit down in the afternoons for at least 1-2 hrs if I can on days I’m home (if I don’t nap) otherwise I have a hard time getting through the rest of the day. Sad but true. I put a dozen eggs in instant pot to hard boil. I use the 5-5-5 method and it works like a charm. I put off sorting kid’s shoes to go into storage and folding laundry.


2-2:30 pm I still have 30 mins before the big kids get home from school and the 2 little girls are magically still sleeping. I power up the computer, eat a Cadbury Egg (the last from Easter!), read some emails and look for some new sandals for Ruth. This is much more enjoyable than phone calls!

2:35pm Amelia is up. So is Ruth. They chatter a bit upstairs before I rescue Ruth from her crib. She climbs everything….except out of her crib. And I’m ok with that!

2:36pm Gabriel and Lucy arrive home from school. It’s Wednesday so it’s early out day. Lucy brings home allll of her artwork from the year so we have to go through and admire it. Wednesday folders come home today with usually a TON of stuff to go through, sign, sort, etc. I start that task while the kids run around like banshees. I always have a good sized pile of papers to go through. Lucy has a notice for an overdue book that must be back before next week. She searches all over the house but still can’t find it and is distraught that she may have to pay the $4.99 replacement fee out of her bank. Life lessons, girl.


Ruth has apparently been woken up from her nap too soon, as I find her like this:


The kids finish a new floor puzzle Nana brought. It’s 4 feet tall and they’re pumped. They all have to lay down next to it and see if they’re 4 feet tall as well.


We go outside for awhile and I find a sunny chair to sit in because, well, I’m tired and it’s really nice out. The kids run around and play and then it’s on to dinner prep. I seem to ALWAYS be in the kitchen. And lately, I’m in the kitchen, pregnant, and barefoot. How’s that for a cliche for you?

5:00pm We eat. It’s early but I don’t care. We avoid the concession stand so it’s just easier to eat before ball games if possible. I made a GF pepperoni and pineapple pizza. The kids  I pretty much eat almost all of it except for the pieces I save for J to eat. It’s so good. (The Bob’s Red Mill GF pizza crust mix is very tasty, our favorite). G runs around getting dressed in between bites of pizza because he didn’t listen the first 2 times I told him to get ready to go.



5:15pm We’re off to baseball. Gabriel puts on his socks and shoes in the car while we drive because he’s taking too long to get dressed. The kids fight because one wants country on the radio and another wants KLOVE. We get to the field in time for warmups.

6pm Baseball game! Gabriel does well, hits and fields. He’s improving and fun to watch! J meets us there. Ruth repeatedly attempts to wander into the parking lot and loves climbing on the bleachers. Amelia and Lucy run around with the other kids and play. We sit comfortably in our new chairs 🙂 I forget to snap any pictures until later.


7:45pm Get back home. It’s so beautiful out! The kids bounce for awhile and J tries to convince me that this summer he should build on our garage. And if we do that our garage will be bigger than our house. I suppose that’s every man’s dream. He’s apparently planted a money tree out back that I have not discovered yet. Ruth runs around with 1 shoe on and no bottoms because….4th child. She’s a free spirit I guess. We pick up all the toys and head inside.


8pm It’s actually the kids’ bedtime but they desperately need to bathe. G heads upstairs while J gives the little girls a bath downstairs and I lay out outfits for tomorrow and switch more laundry. Lucy hops in the shower after G. I notice G still has black paint under his eyes from baseball, but he swears that he washed his face. I’m a bit skeptical. I mop up a bunch of water on the floor since Lucy has a hard time keeping the water in the shower for some reason. We brush hair, supervise teeth brushing, read stories, pray and tuck into bed.

8:40pm All the kids are finally in bed. Whew. Always a relief. I debate on whether to shower or wait till morning, but procrastination wins. I catch up on emails and blogs I like to read and put my feet up for a bit. Load the dishwasher and pick up a bit. I do wish we weren’t out of ice cream 😦

10:30pm Sleep. I stayed up too late once again, as I have to be up at 5:40am the next day for work. That’ll be a butt-kicker. Some day I’ll learn!


2 thoughts on “Day in the Life: 5/9/18

  1. I love to read your blog it makes me smile. And by the way I really enjoyed all your children yesterday and hope you liked the pizza.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s